Thursday, September 8, 2011

Not Falling Flat

I've long believed that my books find me when I am ready to read them. In my typical "Oh, I'm flying tomorrow and should find a suitable book" state just before midnight last Wednesday, I discovered Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park. The novel was a completely random purchase aided by high reviews and the magic of Amazon 1-Click. [At least one of the book's characters would have calculated the odds in this selection. As a math nerd, I'd go with 1:250 based on my search methodology.]

As I mentioned Tuesday, the intro had me hooked. Add to this initial pull, the following Labor Day weekend details:
  • my trip would include Boston (the book's setting)
  • a car journey that was saved thanks, in part, to Dunkin Donuts (Starbucks, Maine has you out-ranked.)
  • the weekend company involved two math geeks
  • I was requested to provide an explanation of Facebook vs Twitter, and
  • at least one of the GBC members had a hangover like the protagonist (though without the embarrassing call just before crashing).
If any of those items connect with you, you will probably find more than a thread in the story to keep you reading. The characters are quirky and the story oscillates between moments of "slightly off" to "wow, I was just as awkward" with an undertone of sadness that lingers momentarily like an autumn breeze after the leaves have disappeared. It has a touch of the hopeless romantic with the wit of a science geek. The book is a quick read and pairs nicely with back to school weather and memories of your first college years.

I won't address the particulars of the story line so that you can enjoy it in the same manner as I did, clueless about the background and (if you're lucky) 30,000 feet in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment