Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Alma Mater

I arrived to the airport a bit early for my standards. The hour at the gate plus the three hour delay was more than enough time to bring me well into the story of The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. I was so engrossed in the book that I nearly missed my boarding call. While everyone napped on the flight, I had my reading light on, determined to race the remaining battery power to the end. [Side note: I was surrounded by seven men and women in jeans, t-shirts, boots, and Stetsons who had won a Marlboro contest and were returning from Montana. I think they were less than thrilled with my light.]

With just 10% remaining at 10,000 feet, the Kindle had to be powered down. As I mentioned, I read the book last year. But I didn't remember. I didn't feel.

It was after 1:00 when I arrived home and the only thing I wanted to do was to finish. I began "Would a Lamed Vovnik Do This?". Through the last pages as the voice changed between Alma and Leo, I remembered, and I cried.

When I read with the Kindle, I tend to make a number of bookmarks for favorite sentences or passages. This time I made one: "If it weren't for her, there would never have been an empty space, or the need to fill it."

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful book. Beautiful passage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paige. I kept re-reading because I knew you were such a fan of the book. This read I found a connection. Can't wait to discuss!

    ReplyDelete