Thursday, December 16, 2010

Circle

I had a small chat with my mother last night about books. There are a few recently published titles which are on her list and which may end up in her stocking. (Stocking is loosely interpreted in my house.) She had no preference to hard cover or paperback as she gives them to another reader when she is done.

In the area where my parents live, most communities have a "prayer circle" so that if one person gets news about a death, illness, or even that their cows are out (seriously), that person can contact the next person in the circle (or list for those not as skilled in the art of PowerPoint). It is a pretty effective means of communication and avoids two or three people calling Bob and everyone forgetting to call Linda.

So this morning I am wondering if the book circle continues past my mom's friend which generates a host of other questions. Are they all like-minded readers? Could we create a book circle where books get shifted about? Or is the system that mom employs more like a library, just without the card and the fines? What would happen to the books when they get back to the beginning of the circle? I imagined an outlet point and then the circle starts to look like the male gender symbol. So now having consumed copious amounts of caffeine while typing, I have stopped pondering the circle. If you have ideas, let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment