Monday, April 5, 2010

Ah We-uk en Franz

In addition to Emma, I am now reading A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke borrowed from the library of my current residence. Reading through chapters "Octobre" and "Novembre" has been quite entertaining, particularly decifering the text written phonetically to illustrate the character who learned his English during his "yee-uh" in "Ja-Ja."

The best education tends to be that which is not gained through a book (or via language CDs). In the last week, I have been fortunate to expand my knowledge of southwest France. The region itself is lovely and on clear days, one has a view of the Peak de Midi . The area is well known for its duck (magret) and for its Madiran wines, both of which are believed to promote long life. [It is my intent to continue to sample local flavors for the benefit of my readers.] The weather has hints of spring and flowers are beginning to show their blooms. The summer holds promise of a jazz festival, various fĂȘtes, and of course, Le Tour.

2 comments:

  1. "For your readers," indeed!

    OK, I apologize, that's just my culinary jealousy talking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strictly research...for the good of the GBC. :)

    ReplyDelete