Sunday, July 21, 2013

In Need of Train-ing

Book #3 began and could have been finished on the train.  Though completely enthralled with the story since pulling out of the station, with 15% remaining, I felt I would have done my life an injustice for keeping my head down reading rather than head up gazing out the train window at the Alps as they neared view.  Looking down was only for the strong of hearts and heights.  Instead, Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple was finished with a glass of Swiss wine on my top floor room with a blanket knocking the chill of my not appropriately dressed for the weather exposed knees.  (Not too shabby.  Nod in thanks to the Universe.)

This book was a recommendation of a college friend who was confidant, co-conspirator, teacher of poster-making bubble letters, and partner on a vacation which included the "two beer flip flop shower".  I knew it was going to be good for a laugh and an adventure.

The story has a few voices and my thoughts on several characters oscillated between "how did s/he get there?" to "oh, no s/he didn't".  Of course he or she did, and this made for one heckuva fun read.  Bee is ever endearing and I adored the relationship between her and her Mom.  I'm debating whether or not to suggest this book to my own mom as she already has a few Bernadette-like tendencies.  I could imagine her making a sign similar to that in the book (though she'd make it herself).  [Does anyone else's parents have separate tool boxes?]

This was a great summer read.  In addition, you'll be doing yourself an injustice if you don't check out her website. [Awesome!]  Sad that I missed her at Parnassus earlier this year.

Hope a great weekend!  I should be back on track with the postings soon.

2 comments:

  1. I bought this book last week--looking forward to starting it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete