Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Conducting the Show

Book #4 was a choice between  The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett or Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok.  Having also read Night Circus this trip, I decided to continue with themes of misdirection and "go local with Ms. Patchett.

The book's first two lines drew me in:  "PARSIFAL IS DEAD.  That is the end of the story."

Who is this person? Why and how?  [I know the opening is always a tough bit so props given here to the author.]  The story is based in LA and manages to pull in small town, Nebraska...in winter.  [I could have actually typed the name but chances are few you would have recognized it.]  It's also one of the first fiction reads I've managed in some while where two of the main characters are dead.  Having wrote that, it seems strange to type then that this book spoke to me about love, different, powerful, kind loves.  Sabine, our assistant, has a nontraditional journey (which I like).  All characters are a bit (and in some cases a lot) quirky and Nebraska won me over in the end.

As a train to plane vacation read, it fit the bill.  While perhaps not my top Patchett work, it would be worth adding this title to your reading lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment