Saturday, July 6, 2013

Don't Send in the Clowns

I had a long travel day on the 4th which meant the required company of good book.  I had downloaded several items that had been crowd-sourced the day before and started with The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern at 10,000 feet.  (This is the 4th book I have read this year on the circus.  It's rather a curious June to June theme that I won't explore to any further psychological depth...particularly without a morning coffee.)

I adored this book.  I read it in the plane, paired with Rosé, at Starbucks, and at gate C14 where I noticed my battery was depleting and wondered if my Nexus would be able to finish the journey.  After a brief mathematical calculation involving % completion, time spent reading with a mild extrapolation to additional time required, I decided yes, opting not to charge, and turned off the device with 10% battery power remaining somewhere over Europe. The story lines run in parallel: the circus which appears with no warning and operates from dusk to dawn, and the characters which develop and meet in order to create such a venue.  There were no scary clowns (+1) but circular tents whose scenes ranged from the Ice Garden to Clouds (+2 for clouds).  This was my type of circus.

While I would have ended the book about 20 pages earlier, I can understand the author's desire to tie up loose ends.  Per my usual, I won't give away any spoilers, but this book is a great summer read item for your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment