Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Down to the Letter

I give credit to @WendyMonday for discovery of "Letters of Note: Correspondence deserving of a wider audience."  Those of you that know me know I am a fan of letters and have a random collection floating about in shoe boxes, stacks, and one very full Pottery Barn case taken from the Tammy Wynette spelling song (apologies for the inside joke).  The site is a collection of letters, postcards, or any written media which can be authenticated.  I offer a nod to Shaun Usher for his selections.  Later this year, the collection of correspondence will be assembled into a book.  This will sit on my shelf alongside My Faraway One.

My favorites thus far are my discovery post (and intro to the site) "I Love My Wife.  My Wife is Dead.", a letter by Richard Freynman to his wife.  I've lost track of the number of times I've re-read this letter.  I'm also a fan (like many others) of  "I Like Words" a letter to Hollywood from Robert Pirosh.  The opening line includes "buttery".  How can you resist?

No comments:

Post a Comment