Sunday, May 20, 2012

With the Greatest of Ease

This weekend was fully dedicated to finishing Geek Love by Katherine Dunn.  Going into it, I thought (foolishly) that the book would focus on the apparent differences of Nerd v Geek but I quickly learned of the Austrian/Hungarian reference of "Gecken" which gave way to "geek" which loosely translated in the circus world can also encompass people who bite the heads off live chickens.  (I'm a nerd.)

The reader learns quickly that the Binewski family is created, like cultivated roses, to be different, unique, and extraordinary.  Since our narrator's mother was a willing participant in drugs, chemicals, disinfectants (I may be exaggerating with this one but not by far), and the like, the roses by any other name, well...were geeks.  The novel twists a bit through Olympia's tale (pun intended) giving the reader details where sometimes not wanted and leaving other bits to the imagination.

I won't spoil the story for you but I heartily recommend that you add this to your reading list though I can't promise you will think the same of redheads, sideshows, dusting large jars or aquariums.

Hope your weekend was a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment