Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Wait a Minute, Mr. Postman

This morning I did my bi-weekly walk to check the mail and discovered three stacks (4 wide and 20 high) of phone books.  My first thought: thanks for not bringing one of those to my door.  Second thought:  who would actually want a phone book?  And then:  I wonder if anyone has tried to make art with phone books.  Of course they have.

Exhibit one:  Kristiina Lahde and "Hive."  The link will take you to page #2 which illustrates the scale of the piece.  Be sure to check out page #1 for a closer view of those familiar ads.  Ms. Lahde was educated and primarily exhibits in Canada.  Two other pieces which caught my eye are "Retread" (for obvious reasons if you know my career progression) and "I Love You".

Cuban American Alex Queral takes phone books in a different direction by use of knife and acryllic.  His sculptures are amazing and I had to read twice to be sure they were actually phone books.  It would be hard to pick my favorite from this selection.

So if you get that familiar yellow delivery to your door, pause before recycling.  Perhaps it's just an art project waiting to emerge.

No comments:

Post a Comment