Sunday, February 26, 2012

Turning the Paiges

For over a year I have re-lived GBC book club meetings through GBC P@1ge.  This month's vivid imagery, combined with my knowledge of the host and his abode, made me a little more than homesick for my fellow readers (and various reading water selections).  With her permission, I share P@1ge's words and her photo:
The palace guards were awaiting our arrival, the tables were set with the utmost care, and we had a meal fit for a queen...literally. Inspired by items taken directly from menus for various royal meals, our regal host Sir William prepared an delectable assortment of vegetables (including Brussels sprouts, green beans, green peas, zucchini & yellow squash, carrots and a green salad...oh my!) with an incredible chicken breast and salmon. Dessert included a strawberry cake of sorts (I'll let Mr. H fill you in, my dessert details are fuzzy as I was trying to avoid the dessert table after stuffing myself on meat and veggies!...and no, I did not avoid it entirely...is it possible I had a bite of rhubarb pie? Whatever it was, it was delicious). We even had special menus to commemorate our evening, thanks to Sir Michael. (photo included).

And, yes, we talked about the book. We all agreed that it was a delightful tale of "what if". It was a book about reading and, well, we love to read. Our charming little read was a big hit and it sparked a great discussion of not only the book at issue but other books and other tidbits about the monarchy (guess who had most of the knowledge there?).

It was a very special night, we were treated royally, and I went home and slept like a princess (though there may have been a leftover pea under my mattress!).

And here's what we have waiting in the wings:
March 20: Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold
April 17: Choose your own Mark Twain and pick some lines to share
May: The Family Fang

Happy reading! See you in Spring!

2 comments: