Monday, June 21, 2010

Moomin In

As today is the first day of summer, I am reminded of the lovely all-night parties that my Scandinavian friends are likely still enjoying as an official introduction to the beautiful (hot in our case) months ahead. As you may have noticed from Saturday's chart, Finland is on my mind.


I do not think I have mentioned one of my favorite writers from this area, Tove Jansson. In addition to her other accomplishments, she is the author of the Moomin books (which I did not include in my calculations of Finnish titles for those of you who are curious). Comet in Moominland and Moominpappa at Sea are among my favorites from the collection. These are whimsical reads and might be nice additions to your summer reading list. There is a small hint of sadness in the books, but I think it aptly represents of the region. If you are traveling to the area, Moominworld is also worth a stop for ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment