Sunday, June 27, 2010

Double the Fun

Call it exhaustion or creativity, but I managed to find a place in the bookcase for Box #2 this evening. This was the last of the book boxes which occupied much of the space in my living area these last few days. I took a friend's advice and many of my shelves are now home to two rows of books. Sure, this methodology does create a small challenge for finding a few of the books, but it does help with storage economics. It is a trade off, and I still have the spreadsheet for reference in the event I cannot find something that I thought I had.

I spent a bit of time reviewing the titles and remembering the occasions which resulted in duplicate copies of books, most inspired by the desperate airport purchase for the trans-Atlantic flight or the obsession. I was also reminded of my copy of Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides which met an untimely demise on a flight as it was caught in the seat during a recline. It took a very strong man to help me unwedge this book; the binding went very quickly with no time for suffering.

It is not just the read that creates a memory for a book. What stories do your books hold for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment