Friday, January 28, 2011

Up, Up and Away

Fridays are the days I allow myself a little more caffeine than normal. I may try out a new shade of lipstick or add a little something unexpected and/or unorthodox to an ensemble. I have made a ritual of Fridays, and they have been celebrated for many years, originating I think with those first trips to Provence on Friday mornings in search of a croissant, a coffee, and eventually the dear friends I still have today.

And so I saved this title for a Friday: Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights. I received this book as a gift over the holidays by a dear friend and fellow book enthusiast. [Note: Forgive the website link included above. It's really not fantastic, however I did want you to get a good look at the cover. She/her publisher is a better writer than web content designer.] The book jacket cover is ivory and red with a spine and actual (again red) book cover that would make one proud to have it on their shelves. Secondarily, the content is pretty fun as well as interesting with the first item/chapter/section entitled "Aerostation: The art of hot-air ballooning" which began in France (like many good things) in 1783. If you have never ridden in a hot air balloon, you should.

As I turn through the pages, I read about "The Bob" (which I now associate as my breakfast here after years of Sunday brunch with my yogi friends) but was once a quite radical hairstyle for a lady. And finally, my favorite thus far is "Far Niente: Sweet Idleness" which seems appropriate for a Friday.

I hope this weekend brings you something exquisite.

No comments:

Post a Comment