Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Little Quarky

I have managed to live nearly sixty percent* of my life (statistically speaking) without knowing this book existed.  I've even dated two physicists.  How is this possible?  [Note: the rhetorical question applies to the book, though admittedly this is rather a high percentage of physicists in one lifetime.]

In swapping book lists this week with a chemist, he suggested Surely You're Joking, Mr.Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character) by Richard Feynman.  In mentioning, he had assumed I had already read it.  When I admitted I had not, he emphatically said that I must read this book at once.  In my defense, this book was published in 1985.  At that time, in true nerd form, I was reading through a suggested college prep reading list, alphabetically by author, as one does.

This NYT review from 1985 will give you a bit of an overview so you can decide if you'd like to add it to your reading list like I did.    I expect it to be a phun read.

*Don't calculate your "lived" span; it can be a little depressing.  If you choose to do so anyway, have at least one two glasses of reading water or a plane ticket (or both).

No comments:

Post a Comment