Monday, June 10, 2013

Lucky Genes

It was one of those books in which I saved the end.

On my best days I don't like to be interrupted when I'm reading the final chapters of a novel, but in this particular case I knew I had to be alone. Alice Sebold had garnered my full attention. She'd kept me company on a long flight, a Saturday night, and a Sunday morning where I needed more than courage to leave the warmth of a down comforter for a sub 80 degree lap pool.  She had earned it.

So in the oasis between gates with a glass of reading water in the tiniest plastic cup, I read about Lila and about Alice.  I lost myself in words.  Sometimes it takes a story a long while to find the happy bits...and even then, happy can be relative.

This would not be a book I'd place as a typical summer read but I think better on a warm sunny day than in the cold dead of winter.  We all have the inner stories which make us lucky and we each eventually find our way, sometimes the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment