Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What's in a Name?

I think it was fitting that the last book I read in 2012 was WILD by Cheryl Strayed.  [Special thanks to GBC P@1ge for this selection.]  I've long believed that I tend to "find" books when I'm ready for them, and I think in this case I was ready to admit that I could well identify with some aspects of Ms. Strayed's memoir.  Life as normal, chaos, loss, chaos, crazy thread of an idea to regroup.  In her case, she opted to regroup via hiking the Pacific Crest Trail solo.

I've done a number of crazy things solo (volunteer in France?) but hiking for any length of time would likely scare me out of skin.  My most memorable experience back-packing in one run-on sentence:  an external frame, lopsidedly-loaded pack, a fall into a creek on day one, a complete soaking by cold spring water when I couldn't lift out because of the weight of the pack, overnight freezing (night two), and the most adamant determination to hike two days work of miles (14) in one day just to get out (and eat something not pre-packaged in foil).  This connected me with Strayed's pack "Monster."   I could also identify with those moments when one expected tears because it IS hard and none come, and then the surprise "grab you" moment when emotion surfaces unexpected, unplanned...the regrouping bits.

I'd recommend this read in your 2013 list (or when you're ready).

No comments:

Post a Comment