Monday, January 14, 2013

A Piece of the Pi

History of Pi
History of pi
Petr Beckman

You probably don't know me very well if you don't know I have a fascination with π (pi).  It started when I was a child enduring (reveling in, actually) my Dad's rhymes about cake and pi when we would cut dessert and continued on though my minor in Mathematics to my present day self, owner of numerous π themed items and of course, books (like this one).

I was pretty excited last night to discover 2Pi:  Rhymes and Radii via NPR.  Jake Scott is a teacher and he's aware that math can appear to some to be quite (I know this is shocking)  dull.  He also knows that kids' attention spans are short.  (Scott is obviously a realist.)  His solution, a math-rapping alter-ego 2 Pi.  The videos were brilliant and I love his statement that "...if there's no connection, then there's no response."  True for teaching.  True for life.

Mr. Scott, I salute your decision to education children, and I adore that you are finding ways to show that math can be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment