Sunday, July 24, 2011

Won't You Write Me a Letter, Won't You Give Me a Call?

"All I want is to preserve that wonderful something which so purely exists between us."
- Alfred Stieglitz

As several of you know, I am a romantic. I am also a fan of posted mail and enjoy writing the occasional letter. As a teen, I sent bi-weekly notes to the "love" of my life and waited each day to see if I would receive a brown envelope in return. As an adult, I have had only one other experience where note writing was abundant and felt urgent and necessary.

In 31 years, Georgia O'Keefe and Alfred Stiegliz exchanged letters over 5,000 times. A total of 25,000 pages existed and a portion of these has just been released in My Faraway One, Selected Letters of Georgia O'Keefe and Alfred Stiegliz: Volume 1, 1913-1933. The above quotation was taken from one of those letters in 1918. Sarah Greenough is due credit as editor for this edition (which I will be ordering in just a few short moments in hard cover as Kindle just does not seem appropriate).

While waiting for delivery, perhaps I will make time to write a few letters and listen to the artist from whom I've taken the title, John Prine.

No comments:

Post a Comment