Wednesday, May 28, 2014

No Way?

I can hardly think of a better gift than an unexpected novel via post.  This weekend I devoted some time to a recent receipt:  The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope.  At 100 chapters, it is a significant carry-on item (versus my Nexus) but worth its weight.  True to my (OCD) form, I'm 100 pages in and yet to break the spine.  The characters each seem to have something slightly amiss so I've not yet selected my favorites.

This work was published in 1875 and I found this trivia via The Guardian:
Trollope, professional to his fingertips, often kept a calendar for the composition of his fiction. Before starting The Way We Live Now he made the following, slightly chilly, calculation: "Carbury novel. 20 numbers. 64 pages each number. 260 words each page. 40 pages a week. To be completed in 32 weeks."
But he was wrong. The "Carbury novel", begun in May 1873, took just 29 weeks, and ran to about 425,000 words.
How's that for six month productivity?

The title also seems to fit recent themes as two of my most recently viewed films have been The Way and They Way Way Back.

No comments:

Post a Comment