Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Love and a Saucepan

I had never heard of Marcella Hazan before Sunday's obituary in the New York Times.  Kim Severson's description assures me I would have liked her.  She studied biology, was opinionated about risotto, and drank Jack.  She moved to the US with her husband in 1955, learned English with the help of baseball, and didn't have a great first impression of cranberry sauce (solidarity!).  She didn't cook but wanted to take care of her husband.  She had lunch with him every day.  (The article includes a great photo of Marcella and Victor on their first date.)

I loved this quote from the obit taken from her biography:

“Cooking came to me as though it had been there all along, waiting to be expressed; it came as words come to a child when it is time for her to speak."

Grazie, Ms. Hazan.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely. I want to go home and cook now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must let me know about the tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete