Tuesday, April 2, 2013

To the Letter

I have studied Willa Cather in at least two English courses.  Until this (insomnia ridden) morning, I didn't realize she was from Nebraska.  This article in The New York Times by Jennifer Schuessler was a fascinating reveal in that 566 of Cather's letters will be published in an anthology later this month.  (Side note:  Cather didn't want her personal correspondence published.)

I love letters and I enjoy reading old correspondence, especially that found in a random book at a remote used bookstore, however I an not quite certain how I feel about this release.  Several of you know I have been following this recent news item about the publication of the HeLa genome without the family's prior consent.    

This morning's 3:30 ethical ponder:  at what point does the greater public understanding trump the personal decision?  

Author's note:  Please don't publish any personal correspondence which contains really bad puns.

No comments:

Post a Comment