Tuesday, July 24, 2012

To Infinity...

Yesterday, we lost Sally Ride and today would have been the 115th birthday of Amelia Earhart.  As a young  girl growing up in the middle of nowhere (or so it felt) America, these were women left an impression on me.  Though never aspirations of becoming a small plane pilot (I wanted a spaceship), I was mesmerized a few years ago in Connecticut when I stood in the hanger which housed one of Earhart's planes.  (I was on an interview so had to play it cool but all I really wanted to do is walk around, touch everything and take the book on the coffee table which gave a history of women in aviation.  I resisted.)  If you too have a fascination on the "rest of the story", The Earhart Project is documenting its expedition to Hawaii in search of wreckage.

I'm sending a Tuesday salute to all the strong women with crazy dreams, both those I know and those who came alive only in books.

No comments:

Post a Comment