Monday, April 27, 2009

Inaugural Post

It’s really too bad that we did not conceive the idea of the “Book Club Blog” in January. We could have included this little nugget with all the other firsts that we very liberally celebrated that night: President Obama, Vote No, and our personal new resolutions and fresh starts for 2009.

We have read one-third of our annual selections and the intent of this blog is to remind us of our pleasant gatherings together and (functionally) to serve as a memory tool for the books which I have and haven’t yet read.

Our most recent meeting included rather animated discussion of The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. We were all pleasantly surprised with both the number of available library copies and that most of us had managed to make some headway in the book! At the risk of invoking a writer from a small town newspaper in East Tennessee, I do want to mention the food.

Starters included cheese with a fruit chutney and some delightful rolls whose contents now escape me. (Note to self: write blog entries closer to date of meeting). Tom L (
www.lazzaroli.com) contributed a yummy lasagna for the main course which when paired with fresh salad and bread, made a most divine meal. And of course, we had cake. Helen’s strawberry cake with fresh strawberries on the side was delicious and a reminder that summer is just around the corner.

Welcome Sondra for your first Germantown Book Gathering. We were impressed with your enthusiasm and your ear-marked pages! You were “hands down” the most prepared and we hope you had fun. Thanks also to our local historians and our well-read club members for filling in the gaps on world religion. I really enjoyed the discussion and as I recall we all agreed to let Kim select other books.


Our other readings thus far for 2009:

January Dreams from my Father by Barack Obama
February The Snake Stone by Jason Goodwin
March Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner

5 comments:

  1. Clearly Kim has overcome the notoriety of one of her earliest and most memorable book club suggestions, The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocolypse by Robert Rankin. Not that I had anything to do with that selection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LD, I have to "hand" it to you for the "hands down" reference for Sondra. And Tim, I cannot believe you are trying to disown the pick of The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, it's technology illiterate Paige here (and above). I think I know have an identifier that doesn't inlcude every letter of the alphabet (we'll see....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It worked!! But I can't spell. I "now" not "know".... Okay, promise to stop commenting now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Paige, I need to own up to my part in picking the Chocolate Bunnies!

    ReplyDelete