Friday, October 10, 2014

Ode to a Samsonite

Samsonite
2006-2014

Dear Samsonite red bag of courage,

You've been my trusty companion for nearly nine years of travel.  We've been through countless cities, you've helped me increase my checklist to 47 states, we've hit four continents, and you survived my most expensive airline ticket ever for the around the world trek.  (Sadly, our book didn't make it due to that unfortunate seat incident that involved Airline attendant extraction.)

You were wheeled through parking lots, security cues, gravel roads, snow, and puddles without complaint.  You were satisfactory for an overnight adventure but capable enough for a two week carry-on to Australia.  You lost zipper handles and had one unused pocket in the back (that had to be a design flaw).  Still you were with me.  You were my footrest for overnight sleeping in LGA and cat naps in DCA.  You handled the weight of my backpack tirelessly and somehow we made it through those tight little metal cylinders on the Chicago CTA.

You were content with repeat journeys and were alongside me for the  new ones which required fearlessness.  Even when stranded in Solvang, we found a way to make friends.  You weren't mocking when we arrived to an important meeting without suit pants (though clearly there was plenty of room to pack them).  You helped me build arm strength up and down stairs, lifting into overheads and carrying you over things that I couldn't wheel through.

You were unique, never to be confused with various plane-checked luggage and easy to spot on those few times you rested in the hold and had to be retrieved from a carousel.  You fit in every trunk or backseat.  You were never a burden, even when technology rapidly advanced to lighter weights and the wheels got a little loud at the end.

My relationship with you lasted longer than any I've had with a man.

I was a bit sad not to use you on yesterday's flight.

Thank you for memorable journeys and for keeping me safe.
LD


No comments:

Post a Comment