Monday, July 14, 2014

Ratios and Highlights

It could be post-exercise elation or the caffeine, but I found this excerpt from The Guardian particularly amusing today:  Can the Hawking Index tell us when people give up on books?  It's a tongue and cheek reference to this WSJ article from Dr. Jordan Ellenberg, a professor of mathematics from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Both are great reads over your morning coffee or afternoon tea.  

For me, it's not the Kindle reads I fail to finish.  It's the random library book or hard copy in hand.  Perhaps I could start a model of probability to finish a book based on its library shelf position.  I have 28 shelves containing books neither arranged by author nor title but loosely arranged by genre.  If I cataloged the read vs unread (and indeed read more than once), would I find anything interesting?    I might need to check yours as well to be statistically significant.

Have a great mathematical Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment