Monday, April 14, 2014

A Running Joke

3 weekends, 4 races, 1 photo
Last year I said I would never again run two consecutive half-marathons.  It was tiring, it was mentally draining and I didn't have much fun.  Also, it was tiring.  (That point needed a second mentioning.)  I ran one more race after the last half (a hot 10k) and then tried my legs at water-skiing only to find that after a few times up, my legs still weren't warmed up enough for a side split.  

[Pause for physical therapy]

When I started running again, I found myself surrounded by the most amazing group of people who didn't care how long it took me to run a mile or four.  They knew my emergency contacts and talked me through breathing exercises as I began like I did in 2006, one step at a time barely moving.  

[Winter interlude and a crazy girls' trip with a half marathon]

I was running and laughing.  I found that time wasn't the focus, it was the friendships.  Slowly over the odd beer and training runs, I found my March and April heavily scheduled and I spent more time at home, running with people I loved and admired.  I had already selected my goal race, but under the influence of reading water and friends who are Iron Athletes, I signed up for a few more races.  "Training runs" they were called. 

I ran the first "training run" in the pouring rain side by side with a pacer so I wouldn't go out too fast.  With a mile to go, I felt like I had a little left so I ran ahead and when I had crossed the finished line, I saw that I had beat my best time (PR) by one minute.  I had not set out to do this but I suppose the lure of getting rid of the soaking wet shoes was too great.  

I ran my HILLY goal race with the sole aim of beating my 2013 time.  I did this by nearly five minutes and shaved another minute off the previous weekend.  With the help of one of my dear friends pacing me, I have a new PR.

So this weekend's agenda was back to back races for a 32.6 mile challenge.  Saturday morning I was excited but Saturday afternoon I did reflect that racing decisions made over reading water are perhaps not the most sound idea. I finished both, pacing a friend yesterday to her first half in a year, and scoring a rather nice beer stein for the accomplishment of dual racing.

This morning, I'm still riding a little runner's high.  I don't feel terribly bad, just extremely thirsty, after the three week adventure.

I'm not a "race report" kind of girl, but my point, in writing this, is "never say never" kids.  

You are stronger (and crazier) than you think you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment