Monday, December 16, 2013

Anywhere, I Would Have Followed You

After pushing Saturday a bit to the limits, Sunday was a day to catch up on sleep, spend time with friends in a recovery lunch and cardio-offset a Christmas cigar.  I paired The Holiday with reading water and my rocket card writing by the light of candles and my red tree.  Quaint.  Content.

When I crawled into bed, I wanted the feel of a book rather than my tablet and went scrounging around the bookcase to see what was untouched.  I picked up Don't Go Where I Can't Follow because it was short and I knew it had good reviews.  I'd purchased this and two others by Nilsen in August.  The books sat on the counter for about a month before they were packed, moved, and unpacked during my autumn transition.

It sat waiting until I was ready.

This was a read that I both wanted to turn the page to see the next space and at the same time did not.  I knew where I was headed as a reader and I wasn't sure I was equipped for this peek into another's grief.  The book is a beautiful collection of postcards, a letter, photos and travel anecdotes fading into excepts of writing by Mr. Nilsen at Ms. Weaver's bedside. The end through drawings and words is particularly touching.  I don't think I stopped crying from page 73 onward.

It is such a beautiful thing when two people find each other, admit love, and take on the challenges of life as a unit.  They weather unexpected events, find laughter, and choose to stick it out to the end.  As GBC P@1ge has recently reminded me, all relationships end, one way or another.  Nilsen gives us a look at the other, and it reminds my heart to keep hope that deep connections are always possible, even if they are way too short to be fair.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful review of your weekend, the book, and how the book affected you. Adding it to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete